Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hero by Perry Moore

Hero by Perry Moore

Age Group: Young Adult

Pages: 428

Release Date: September 2007

Overall:

Okay, so it is currently 12:07 a.m. and I officially should be asleep since I have lots of things I'm doing tomorrow. (Hopefully I'll have time to do BTT before I leave.) But, since I haven't posted a review in a while, I decided I should. And what better book to start with than this amazing one? I feel like I'm a bad reviewer since I give basically everything five stars, but come on, the books I've read are just so GOOD! Anyways, to the review!

Basically I was very excited to read this book. And it definitely did not disappoint. Anyways, imagine a motley group of superheroes. One is gay, with the power of healing. Another is old and psychic, and a third has the power to make you really sick. Then there is extremely touchy Scarlett, who is angry all the time, and the team leader Golden boy, who has been put on probation from the League because of one teensy mistake. Imagine that, and you have Thom Creed's team. Thom is the son of an ex-superhero(who never had powers) who is fighting the secrets that he hides from his father. It doesn't exactly help that he is gay, has a thing for superheroes, and a dad who is the social outcast of the town(and really judgemental just FYI) because of a catastrophic event in the past. Thom's life changes when he starts to develop superpowers and is invited to try out for the League, a prestigious league of superheroes. And the others that have tried out are every bit as much of a misfit as he is. You will fall in love with this cast of D list superheroes that are unorganized yet miraculously save the day. I personally loved Typhoid Larry and Ruth (the person who makes people sick and the psychic.) Typhoid Larry was just adorable in all of his insecurities, and Ruth was the cool but crazy Grandma who knew the answer to everything (if not because she's wise, then because of her psychicness.) Moore wove a beautiful story with characters dancing (and sometimes stumbling) in and out of conflict throughout the whole thing. He also wrote a wonderful love interest, and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of love in this story. What shocked me the most, was how I reacted to all the superheroes. Read this book and go to Geeky heaven, because even if they aren't real superheroes, I like them better than your basic Spiderman or Batman. (Too many "mans", luckily there was only the one Uberman in this book.) The writing in this book was was a perfect blend of witty and hearfelt at all the right moments. A choice quote? "And Golden Boy, if you weren't so busy trying to be a one man rescue machine... Well, there may be no 'I' in team, but apparently there's a real big one in 'Kevin.'" And the ending, the ending had me on the edge of my seat! You find out who the villain is (a surprise, but not really if you paid attention like me), who the mysterious 'Dark Hero' (a possibly bad, possibly good mystery guy) is, and everyone resolves their character vs. character issues! The ending was beautiful, the characters were beautiful, the writing was beautiful, this whole freaking book was beautiful. I might use this for my July Challenge, not sure yet. Anyways, go read this freaking fantastical book!


Plot:

Characters:

Writing:
Ending:

Love always,
Amanda
p.s. sorry my review is mixed in with my summary, that's just how it worked best!

No comments:

Post a Comment