Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott







Characters:



Plot:


Writing:



Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...



I loved all of the books by Elizabeth Scott that I had read so far, I was at my local B&N buying a book for my mother for Mothers Day (Happy Mother’s Day btw!) and I thought I would treat myself to the latest Elizabeth Scott book, The Unwritten Rule, and now I just finished it, so at 12:34 am I will review it for you. Okay first of all, out of all of Elizabeth Scott's books I've read, I probably liked this one the least, don't get me wrong, I still gave this one three stars, but it was sort of eh compared to the other ones, Something, Maybe, and Perfect You which I LOVED.

Sarah knows the unwritten rule, that you don't love your best friend's boyfriend, but she loves Ryan anyway, and she’s trying to stop. One thing about The Unwritten Rule was I loved the idea of being so trapped where you liked this guy so much, but deciding between him and your friend would be unconditionally hard, which I could totally relate to. Second, the characters, I feel like Elizabeth Scott's male counterparts are usually so, what's the word, spunky (!) which Ryan was not, he was totally sweet but I was expecting someone with a little more spunk, I absolutely HATED Brianna, at the beginning I felt sorry for her because her family sucked but she was just so horrible to Sarah (her best friend!) and Ryan (her boyfriend!) I just wanted to slap her. Finally Sarah, oh Sarah, I think she definitely needed a backbone, she just kept crawling back to Brianna (horrible, horrible Brianna) even after Brianna openly dumped her. The characters were definitely lacking a certain middle ground, and backbones! The one thing to make up for the terrible characters is Scott's amazing writing! I love the way the chapters flowed and the dialogue between Sarah and Ryan, and all their inside jokes, it was very cute.

Overall, I would recommend a different book for your recommended dose of Elizabeth Scott, but The Unwritten Rule wasn't terrible.


xoxo,

Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment