Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen




Characters:
Plot:
Dialogue:
Cover:

The Holland sisters, Elizabeth and Diana, are at the top of the social ladder. When their father dies, the girls move away to get educated about being a proper lady and when they come back, they find out that things don’t look too good for the Holland family. They’re broke. But if Mrs. Holland has anything to say about it, they won’t be, not for long. If Elizabeth can marry Henry Schoonmaker—a man who’s so handsome he has the hearts of all eligible females—their family name won’t be smeared. But Elizabeth already has her heart set on Will, who is just a mere stable boy, and Penelope, Liz’s supposed best friend, wants Henry. And where’s Diana all this time? Falling in love with Henry, of course. Rich girls always get what they want, but there’s just one Henry to go around.


Okay, before I review I usually do a little blurb about how I came across this book, this is a complicated one so bear with me... I was recommended this from amazon.com like 9 million times a really long time ago and i finally bought it before my first trip up to chicago with J, how long ago was that? Oh like a year and a half ago. I read like the first 100 pages and for some reason wasn't interested and put it away and "temporarily misplaced" it (aka lost it). Well, yesterday, a good friend of mine C.D. was talking to someone else about it and I was like "that sounds so complicated what are you talking about?" and she's like "Oh its this book called The Luxe its sooo good!" and I happened to find my copy the very same night and started reading. I. Was. Hooked.

Rich girls always get what they want. That was the saying to live by in 1899, until seemingly everyone of upperclass New York got caught up in an epic love triangle. One thing I enjoyed about The Luxe was the characters, I could relate to Elizabeth being so trapped by needing to impress her family to the point where she couldn't get out of her engagement with Henry, even if they both loved another. I feel like I'm the only one who really likes Henry. I thought he was very spicy and spunky, and I really liked him! I hated Penelope, and her little minion Buck, but that's how the story was supposed to work. I loved Diana, this rebellious teenager where the last thing you ever wanted to do was stand out. Lina annoyed me, she was way too obsessed with Will, everytime a chapter was about her she was whining or doing something stupid. Who else? Will was okay, there wasn't really a story about him so I couldn't really say if I liked him or not. The plot was awesome! Kept you moving at a fast pace and wondering what was going to happen next, even though you knew... similar to Romeo and Juliet style. I loved the little news article clippings at the beginning of each chapter, I thought that was a really neat idea and THE PLOT TWIST AT THE END! Oh my gosh I did NOT see that coming... (see look, now you want to read it and know what I'm talking about) ;) well you definitely should! Check out The Luxe by Anna Godbersen!


xoxo,

Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment