Sunday, August 22, 2010

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Release Date: 1/5/2010
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Overall:

Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around.

Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up To Be.


I really wish my review could do this book justice. But it probably wont. *insert deep and thoughtful review here* This book is amazing. I was looking for a really deep and intense book, and boy did I get one. If you are looking for that type of book. Look no further. Trust me.

Regina Afton, what a main character. I don't even know what to say about her, she was a relatable character, even though I honestly couldn't relate to any of her life experiences. So don't ask me how she was relatable, she just was. I immediately sympathised with her after she fell from grace thanks to a bitchy ex best friend. Where she slowly got to know a former victim Michael Hayden and starts to make amends of the way she used to be. All while getting pummeled by her ex clique for something she didn't do. Yeah, and you thought vampires and werewolves were bad. At least you can kill that bad guy.

One thing, I feel like she could have avoided a whole bunch of pummeling if she didn't react to the ex friends. But I understood her, I wanted to punch them all in the face. They totally deserved it, but the logical thing would have been to avoid it. Which she didn't do. But, like I said, I could she why she reacted the way she did.

Overall very deep, very intense, very good read. Highly recommend if your looking for that sort of book. Now, I am going to listen to Taylor Swift, because that is what high school should be like.
Cover:
Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Ending:
xoxo,

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I haven't read this yet but I've got it on my to-read list! I personally can't stand ANY type of clique novel, but hey, if the MC is tough and if you can relate to her, then I will definitely give it a shot. :)

    Fab review!

    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this and must get to it. I love the shout out to Taylor Swift at the end. I love her music!

    ReplyDelete