Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen





Characters:


Plot:

Writing:

Cover:


It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.


I. Love. Sarah. Dessen. I actually think that Along for the Ride surpassed The Truth about Forever as my favourite Sarah Dessen book. Who knew that could happen? I didn’t. I didn’t think that any book could pass that one… ugh but they're both sooooo good. I think I’m going to post a poll below to see which one you like better, because I’m not sure. So yeah, I’ll do that at the end (: So I meant to read this on my vacation which is technically tomorrow since I am writing this at 3:13 am. Weird. But I just got sooooo into it (I’m saying so with a bunch of o’s at the end a lot. I must be really tired. (: I’ll go to bed soon, promise) Okay to the review.

Gosh, how to describe Along for the Ride? I have no idea, honestly. The characters are so real and so cute, I related to Auden, being a self diagnosed insomniac, hello, who else is up at 3:20? I related to her in other ways, having demanding parents at some points and needing to get away sometimes. Second, I loved Eli, Sarah Dessen can sure write a cute lover for the relationship aspect of her novels, Eli was everything I could have wanted in a book relationship and then some! I love when Dessen puts little quirks in the characters' relationship, In The Truth about Forever it was the game of truth and in Along for the Ride it was giving Auden her past back, Auden and Eli had late night coffee and pie, and they went BOWLING, which is sort of an inside joke between my friends and I, which made Eli even more amazing, finally, he’s a BMX-er! (is that a word? Or the right term? He competed in competitions, so I think that’s right, give me a break its 3:30) Once again, inside joke, but a few friends including Amanda went on a road trip and we saw a BMX competition and we fell in love with it. There wasn’t much on the other characters, because a lot of the book took place in the wee hours of the morning, but I don’t have anything particularly bad to say about them, except Auden’s father, who throughout the whole book couldn’t seem to get a clue and grow up. The plot was amazing, but I wish there was more of a conclusion, the ending seemed very okayimdonewritingnow where I was thinking there was missing pages, I wish there was more to that, I think it would have been absolutely breathtaking then (: Finally, the dialogue, Sarah Dessen, is an amazing writer when it comes to dialogue, she sure knows how to put just the right amount of witty back and forth, inside jokes where you feel just enough clued into it, and just enough backstory where you don’t feel completely out in the blue, but you don’t have to read through chapters of boring backstory that doesn’t really matter. Overall Sarah Dessen sure can write a novel, and a love story and I hope her next books are this good because I honestly feel like starting it over again. That’s how you know a book is mind blowing!


xoxo,

Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment