Monday, January 17, 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Release Date: 10/1/2006
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Overall:

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.

Okay so I don't really know what to say about this book. After reading it I was just like "ehh".

The way Johnson writes is annoying because more than halfway into the book I really didn't know ANYTHING about the main character, other than that she was on a (ridiculous) journey. It was all action and no thought. It was not insightful, the main character was not likeable. She was just like...doing things. She didn't have very many thoughts. And never very insightful ones (I like this boy! I am sad. I am happy. I am angry. COME ON). There was no attempt made to make her a human, a believable character. Also the end was frustrating but kind of oddly moving (a little) at the same time

There were also things that Johnson wrote about that didn't make sense, such as where apparently she thought it was necessary to mention that Ginny checked her backpack into coat check at the Louvre however she didn't find it necessary to say that she picked it back up instead she magically had her backpack? That stuff confused me.

So yeah, 13 Little Blue Envelopes was okay, I'm glad it was a library book and I didn't buy it. Sorry the review was rant-y at the beginning. :)

Cover:
Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Ending:

xoxo,
Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment