Saturday, August 14, 2010

Excuse me while I yawn while scanning the YA fantasy section...



** WARNING THIS WILL PROBABLY TURN INTO A RANT, BE PREPARED FOR RANTING**



Has anyone else that YA fantasy stuff and YA in general has become the same old stuff recycled over and over again? Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy (duh, Fantasyfest!) but when it is the same old paranormal romance over and over again I tend to get annoyed. Everything you see is about vampires. Girl meets vampire, they fall in love, girl can't see vampire because he is a vampire and could suck her blood. Hmmmm.... does this sound like a certain saga that everyone's been obsessed about? Well, while not every paranormal romance book will have a whiny no good Bella and a creepily overprotective Edward, most of them tend to follow the same story line. And have the same covers. And similar characters. (Note, I don't mean similar to Twilight, but similar to most other PNR novels.) I'm sorry, but as a book lover, I don't like to hear the same story told over and over again. It's very annoying when I'm browsing through books in B&N and all I see are the same old covers and the same old plots. It's frustrating seeing 2 dimensional characters in a very cliche and overused story. Yes, I know what you PNR lovers are thinking, "But there are fallen angels stories too!" I understand this. Trust me, I've read plenty of Angel stories, but only a few are near and dear to my heart. And the rest are the same. "Oh sexy Angel, I can't be with you because you are an Angel!" Well boo hoo. The only thing I hate more than a cliche PNR novel is one that involves a whiny 'so in love' girl. Oh, and the fact that the YA book shelves are infested with PNR. I love any kind of fantasy, but this is just sickening. Where are the sci-fi novels? The historical fiction? Hmmmm? I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but it is very saddening when I can find barely any sci-fi novels on YA shelves. Although... I am a fan of the new dystopian trend. Anyways, I think you've heard enough rant for now. So I am going to compile two lists: 1 of awesome not cliche brain-washing fantasy novels, and one of epic fails. And after you read that, you should tell me what trends you are sick of in books. What cliches you hate. Come on guys, lets have a ranting party! Anyways... here are my lists. They are in no particular order.

Epic fantasy wins:
1. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
2. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (okay, it's a LITTLE cliche, but there are parts in Hush, Hush and Crescendo that are totally amazing.)
3. Tyger, Tyger by Kersten Hamilton
4. Angel Fall by Coleman Luck
5. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater (I'm sorry, Shiver was too cliche, I loved Linger though.)
6. The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
7. Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore

Epic fantasy fails (or fantasy books I just didn't like as much.):
1. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
2. Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin (I'm sorry... it just wasn't believable.)

Fantasy books that were just "all right":
1. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (definitely not bad, set up Linger well, but not amazing.)
2. The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima ( just didn't like it as much. Not cliche though!)

As you can see, I have tried to distance myself from horribly cliche fantasy books, and have been pretty successful.



Love always,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment