Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennen

Release Date: 5/19/2010
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 303
Overall:

*** WILL contain spoilers from the first book The Demon's Lexicon click the link to read that review ***
Mae Crawford's always thought of herself as in control, but in the last few weeks her life has changed. Her younger brother, Jamie, suddenly has magical powers, and she's even more unsettled when she realizes that Gerald, the new leader of the Obsidian Circle, is trying to persuade Jamie to join the magicians. Even worse? Jamie hasn't told Mae a thing about any of it. Mae turns to brothers Nick and Alan to help her rescue Jamie, but they are in danger from Gerald themselves because he wants to steal Nick's powers. Will Mae be able to find a way to save everyone she cares about from the power-hungry magician's carefully laid trap?

I can basically sum up my review in three words: The best yet! I loved The Demon's Covenant even more than I loved The Demon's Lexicon. Which I loved. A lot.

In The Demon's Lexicon the basic story revolved around Nick, in The Demon's Covenant it revolves around Mae. I love Mae's voice and I love seeing the world from her point of view, I love that the main character changed in this book from the first, it makes me wonder who will be the main character in the final installment in the series. There isn't really any new characters to have an opinion on except in The Demon's Lexicon as a reader you didn't (or at least I didn't) get to know the villain until toward the end, so it was nice to have got to know the villain (Gerald) in the previous book and have some hating each other scenes.

One thing to say about the plot was that I loved this one even more than the first. It has just as many twists, but you have got to know the world so this story gives you more room to explore the world, and it helps to be in the head of a character that's new to the whole magic thing because more explaining is involved, which really helps the reader figure out what's going on. And this is one love triangle (which sort of turns into a pitchfork sort of thing) that I don't mind reading. Usually I have the one person where I'm like "You are so stupid to even like character b! When character a is sooo much better for you!" I do admit that I have a favourite *cough*Nick*cough* but I won't be too devastated if Mae picks Alan because he's pretty badass too. A pretty big part of the plot that I loved was that Mae reads to Nick from Daniel Ryves' journal, I loved Daniel's journey to accepting Nick into the family. It was also a really cool way to tie in the character's past. So props for that.

Overall, I loved The Demon's Covenant and am anxiously waiting for the third book. It can't come out fast enough!

Cover:
Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Ending:

Have you read The Demon's Covenant? Tell me what you thought in the comments please!

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment