Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rumors by Anna Godbersen

***Warning: Spoilers from the first book THE LUXE ***
Release Date: 8/1/2008
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 432
Overall:

After bidding good-bye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise.

All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoonmaker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind—including Henry; even Elizabeth's scheming former maid, Lina Broud, who discovers that while money matters and breeding counts, gossip is the new currency.

As old friends become rivals, Manhattan's most dazzling socialites find their futures threatened by whispers from the past. In this delicious sequel to The Luxe, nothing is more dangerous than a scandal . . . or more precious than a secret.


Mm..I'm really torn with this book.

Okay, this book was good. Really good. Which is shocking because I found the first one to be a tad bit boring. I don't know why, but this one is SO MUCH BETTER! Maybe it is because the author didn't have explain too much and could just dive right into all the scandals of 1899 Manhattan. Ah, boy, did I eat it up. Each character's story-line was really interesting and each had their own distinct voice. It was just...really fantastic.

All characters except Lina. I hate Lina. She needs to be punched in the FACE.

BUT. Oh yes, the but. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is completely flabbergasted by THE ENDING OF THIS NOVEL! HOW IN THE WORLD??? WHYYY?? WHAT WAS GODBERSEN THINKING WHEN SHE WROTE THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS??

Honestly, I am in no way a fan of the ending. It sucked. I hated it. I didn't see the point in it, yet it happened. I'm sorry. I am a complete SAP for happy endings and when thinks such as what occurred in this novel happen, it infuriates me. The ending just really..made me mad, okay?

All in all, a really good book if you're into gossip and scandal and all that juicy stuff that I'm into to. :) I recommend it, but hey, I warned you about the ending.

Cover:
Characters:
Writing:
Plot:
Ending:

No comments:

Post a Comment